|Rumi’s quotes can change your outlook on life, love, and morality positively, but first, it is worthwhile to know about his biography and life. With the full name of Jalal ad-Din Muhammad Rumi, he was a 13th-century Persian Muslim poet whose popularity is far beyond ethnic and national borders because of the wisdom and morality which can be found in his poems. His poems cannot be considered just harmonic pieces of writing; in fact, they are full of concepts that call people to be benevolent and behave appropriately and humanely. This is the reason why Rumi’s quotes are still popular among the public not only in his country but also in other nationalities. So, his poems are translated into various languages including Spanish, Turkish, Urdu, Russian, German, Arabic, French and Italian. Rumi’s quotes was also a source of inspiration for many poets and artists, and there is countless artistic creation that follows his way of thinking and writing.
Before meeting a dervish named Shams Tabrizi, Rumi was a religion teacher, but with this breakthrough of meeting Shams, his life went through a profound change. Rumi soon became a Shams devotee and started to imitate his spiritual mentor to become united with him and resolve in him completely. After 3 years of friendship, Shams disappeared surprisingly. There is a rumor that Shams was murdered by Rumi’s son because he could not tolerate their strong relationship anymore and decided to ruin this bond forever. The pain of losing his beloved friend became the reason for wiring poems in which Shams was mentioned with great respect.
During centuries and among generations who have read Rumi’s words, almost all of them point to inspiring elements which can be found in a few words. It is far beyond imagination how he has managed to have such a huge influence on his readers and make them think deeply and arise their emotions in the most powerful and meaningful way. Representing social and ethical, somehow complex, concepts in the simplest way which can be understandable and effective for ordinary people is a talent that is exceptional among human beings. Expressing positive attitudes hidden in negative ones can be considered his amazing ability in transforming society’ undesirable and unpleasant habits into favorable ones.
In his honor, the following most inspiring 30 Rumi’s quotes on Life, the universe, Love, and Strength will inspire you to realize the light when you think nothing can be found other than darkness.
1. Everyone has been made for some particular work, and the desire for that work has been put in every heart.
2. This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First, let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet.
3. Woman is a ray of God. She is not that earthly beloved: she is creative, not created.
4. We are born of love; Love is our mother.
5. Grief can be the garden of compassion. If you keep your heart open through everything, your pain can become the greatest ally in your life’s search for love and wisdom.
6. The garden of love is green without limit and yields many fruits other than sorrow or joy. Love is beyond either condition: without spring, without autumn, it is always fresh.
7. Don’t grieve. Anything you lose comes around in another form.
8. The minute I heard my first love story, I started looking for you, not knowing how blind that was. Lovers don’t finally meet somewhere. They’re in each other all along.
9. Let the beauty of what you love to be what you do.
10. Do not feel lonely; the entire universe is inside you.
11. Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
12. Lovers don’t finally meet somewhere. They’re in each other all along.
13. Would you become a pilgrim on the road of love? The first condition is that you make yourself humble as dust and ashes.
14. Here are a thousand ways to kneel and kiss the ground; there are a thousand ways to go home again.
15. This place is a dream. Only a sleeper considers it real. Then death comes like dawn, and you wake up laughing at what you thought was your grief.
16. You are not a drop in the ocean. You are the entire ocean, in a drop.
17. Dancing is not just getting up painlessly, like a leaf blown on the wind; dancing is when you tear your heart out and rise out of your body to hang suspended between the worlds.
18. Run from what’s comfortable. Forget safety. Live where you fear to live. Destroy your reputation. Be notorious. I have tried prudent planning long enough. From now on I’ll be mad.
19. Your depression is connected to your insolence and refusal to praise.
20. If the foot of the trees were not tied to the earth, they would be pursuing me. For I have blossomed so much, I am the envy of the gardens.
21. Whenever we manage to love without expectations, calculations, or negotiations, we are indeed in heaven.
22. Everyone has been made for some particular work, and the desire for that work has been put in every heart. Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of what you really love.
23. I was dead, then alive. Weeping, and then laughing.
An eye is meant to see things.
The soul is here for its own joy.
A head has one use: For loving a true love.
Feet: To chase after.
Love is for vanishing into the sky. The mind,
for learning what men have done and tried to do.
Mysteries are not to be solved: The eye goes blind
when it only wants to see why.
A lover is always accused of something.
But when he finds his love, whatever was lost
in the looking comes back completely changed.”
25. Rumi’s quotes(moon)
I am your moon and your moonlight too
I am your flower garden and your water too
I have come all this way, eager for you
Without shoes or a shawl
I want you to laugh
To kill all your worries
To love you
To nourish you.
Lovers find secret places
inside this violent world
where they make transactions
27. Rumi’s quotes(sunlight)
We watch a sunlight dust dance,
and we try to be that lively,
but nobody knows what music those particles hear.
Each of us has a secret companion musician to dance to.
Unique rhythmic play, a motion in the street we alone know and hear.
The breezes at dawn have secrets to tell you
Don’t go back to sleep!
You must ask for what you really want.
Don’t go back to sleep!
People are going back and forth
across the doorsill where the two worlds touch,
The door is round and open
Don’t go back to sleep!
If you want money more than anything,
you will be bought and sold.
If you have a greed for food,
you will become a loaf of bread.
This is a subtle truth.
Whatever you love, you are.
Make your last journey
from this strange world
soar for the heights
where there is no more
separation of you and your home
God has created
your wings not to be dormant
as long as you are alive
you must try more and more
to use your wings to show you’re alive